Wednesday 28 May 2014

D.I.Y. Irrigation Installation. How Much Do You Save?

I did my first irrigation installation in Van Riebeeckshof, Bellville back in 2001. I can remember being impatient and not waiting for my supplier's rep to show me the ropes. Instead, I tried to connect the manifold to the main waterline myself. When I opened the stop-cock, the water pressure popped the manifold right off and sprayed water and mud all over my clothes.

To make things worst; there were 3 guys in a Nissan 1300 bakkie, that witnessed the whole episode. They couldn't stop laughing. I closed the valve and disappeared to the back garden. When I came back after about 20 minutes, they started laughing all over again. I couldn't help but to join them.

My second job was way easier, in fact things just got better from then and it's second nature now. If you are a D.I.Y. person, you may have better luck, but is it worth doing it yourself?

I'm going to list the Pro's and the Con's, but not in that order. I'll start with the Con's.

The Con's:

  1. Irrigation Contractors get up to 40% discount on irrigation parts. That amount is more or less equal to the labour. So if you decide to DIY and don't get the products at the discounted price, you might as well get a professional contractor to do the installation.
  2. You got to do a lot of research before commencement. Do you know what's your water pressure? How many pop-ups can you put on one line? Do you know how to connect the Controller to the Valves? How do you assemble a manifold?
  3. Installers usually have extra fittings. If you're new to irrigation or don't do it often, you tend to exclude things you didn't think of and will do several trips to the supplier to buy that "things".
  4. It will take you way longer to complete, especially if you dig the trenches yourself. An average home irrigation installation take us 1-2 days. I will take a single person at least 4 times longer.
  5. You miss out on 4 days, you could have spend with your family and friends.
The Pro's:

  1. There is a chance that you'll save money, if you get a discount on the parts.
  2. The satisfaction after completion of your own installation when it works.
As you can see it all depends on what type of person you are.

If you're not the DIY type. Give me, Mark, a call for a free irrigation quote at 0829275169 or email me at creative@vodamail.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment